Chemical engineers deal with the procedures that involve the manufacturing and production of goods via chemical procedures. Chemical engineers generally deal with chemical manufacturing processes and manage the production of food, fuels, biological, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals via chemical methods. Well, chemical engineering has a good scope because the engineers are generally employed in large organizations and manufacturing plants.
|Monthly Salary Range:
|₦152083 – ₦445950
|Average Monthly Salary:
|Chemical engineers use scientific principles and engineering principles to maximize the efficiency of the manufactured products simply by enhancing the processes and equipment usage.
|Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering
If you are interested in the field and are looking for the demand for chemical engineers and their salary overview in Nigeria, you have come to the right place. The guide covers everything from the salary of a chemical engineer in Nigeria, the bonus they get, extra payments, professional responsibilities, and the salary structure.
Overview of Chemical Engineering Salary in Nigeria
A chemical engineer is a professional who uses his knowledge of engineering and scientific principles in order to maximize the efficiency of the products manufactured by improving the equipment used and procedures followed. The field is one of the very interesting fields to work in. Well, it not only is an exciting field but is one of the most highly-paid professions in which you can earn a handsome amount of salary.
Furthermore, the average monthly wage a chemical engineer who is working in Nigeria can get is ₦ 291,983. This salary becomes ₦ 3,503,800 when converted into an annual stipend. Keep in mind the salary is approximate.
It can be more or less on the basis of several factors like experience, education, skills, and gender. From our research, we have come to know that the median salary for a chemical engineer who is giving his services in Nigeria is ₦ 3,359,000 per year. The median salary is the middle amount, which means 50% of the chemical engineers in Nigeria earn more than this, and 50% of the chemical engineers earn less than this.
When we talk about the extra salary, bonus, or incentive, the first thing that comes to our mind is an increment in the salary. Well, like other prominent and more lucrative industries in Nigeria, chemical engineering is also among those professions in which you will get annual pay raises. Chemical engineers working in Nigeria get an increment of 3% per year in their salary.
Moreover, chemical engineering is a low bonus-based job. According to our research, we came to know that 49% of the employees working in Nigeria as chemical engineers have got one bonus in the last 12 months, whereas 51% of the employees have not received any incentive or bonuses in their jobs. Furthermore, the bonus you can receive in the position includes a company performance bonus, an individual performance bonus, a goal-based bonus, and a holiday bonus.
Well, we already know the average annual income a chemical engineer can get while working in Nigeria is ₦ 3,503,800. The minimum average yearly salary is ₦ 1,825,000, and the maximum annual average wage is ₦ 5,351,400.
We will now focus on the difference in average salaries on the basis of the professional experience of the employees. Pay attention to the details below so you can clearly understand the variability in wages on the basis of professional experience.
Salaries Based on Professional Experience
With more years on the job, your salary automatically increases. The same is the case with chemical engineering. Those employees who have been working in the field for many years can make up a good average amount at the end of the month.
Alternatively, those who are newcomers or have just started their job can make a small salary. Let’s look at the approximate wages on the basis of experience level.
- Chemical engineers who have 0 to 2 years of experience can earn an average monthly income of ₦ 2,065,400.
- Then there are chemical engineers who have 2 to 5 years of experience. They can earn an average income of ₦ 2,773,700.
- Those chemical engineers who have 5 to 10 years of experience can make up to ₦ 3,601,500.
- Chemical engineers who are working in the field and have more than ten years of experience and less than 15 years of experience make it possible for them to earn an average annual income of approximately ₦ 4,369,800.
- And lastly, there are those professional and skilled chemical engineers who have been in the field for more than 15 years. They can earn an average annual salary of around ₦ 4,777,400.
Responsibilities of Chemical Engineers
There are several responsibilities that a chemical engineer in his job has to fulfill. Since they mainly deal with chemicals and the production and manufacturing of chemical products, they have a lot to do in their field. Some of the primary responsibilities are mentioned below so you can get an idea of what chemical engineers have to do.
- Chemical engineers are responsible to work on a large scale and ensure compliance with safety, health, and environmental regulations.
- They are also responsible for conducting research to improve and enhance manufacturing procedures.
- Since they work mainly on large scales like laboratories and major manufacturing plants, they manage and monitor the overall production process.
- Chemical engineers also have to estimate the production costs and ensure that the products manufactured under their supervision are cost-efficient.
- Chemical engineers conduct research and analyze the data they receive from their research to make it useful for making improvements in production procedures.
- Moreover, chemical engineers are also involved in using mathematical principles, scientific laws, and engineering principles in order to dig out the solutions to the problems that they encounter during the production procedures.
- They design, propose, explain, and review their plans in order to make sure that the whole procedure is going according to the company’s goals.
- They also have to conduct research, make analyses, and find other ways in order to increase the quality and efficiency of the products they manufacture.
Who is the chemical engineer?
A chemical engineer is a professional who uses engineering and scientific principles and laws in order to improve the usage of equipment and develop smart procedures to enhance the production of various products. A chemical engineer deals with drugs, foods, fuels, and chemicals and makes sure to meet quality standards while ensuring cost-effectiveness.
Is there any difference between the salaries of male chemical engineers and female chemical engineers working in Nigeria?
Yes, there is a notable difference in the salaries of male and female chemical engineers. Male chemical engineers earn approximately 13% more as compared to female chemical engineers working in Nigeria and performing the same job. Moreover, male chemical engineers have an average annual salary of ₦ 3,755,300 per year as compared to females, who earn an average of ₦ 3,335,900 per year.
How much does a chemical engineer who has a bachelor’s degree earn in Nigeria?
A chemical engineer who has a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering and is giving his services in Nigeria can earn approximately ₦ 2,914,600 per year. Keep in mind this is the average salary; it can be more or less depending upon other relevant factors. Moreover, those with master’s degrees can earn approximately around ₦ 4,043,600 per year.
Article Modified on October 28, 2023. The data in this article is written and collected by multiple authors. Learn how we research on About Us.