Qualification plays an important role in helping you get a reputable rank in the Nigerian Army. This blog is especially for graduates who want to join the Nigerian Army. If you want to be an aspiring Army officer, especially under the Short Service Commission (SSC) and Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) then this article is for you.
Today we will explore the Nigerian Army SSC and DSSC requirements to determine what factors make an individual fit the specific criteria outlined by the Nigerian Army. So, if you want to join Nigerian Army we will help you understand Nigerian Army SSC and DSSC requirements to smoothen the journey for you.
Nigerian Army SSC and DSSC Requirements
Both SSC and DSSC ranks are for graduates, but they are not the same programs. This is why one needs to understand Nigerian Army SSC requirements, DSSC requirements, and recruitment criteria to apply to a service where they fully meet eligibility criteria.
Nigerian Army SSC Requirements
Anyone who wants to join the Nigerian Army as an SSC officer must understand the eligibility criteria to submit an application successfully and enhance the chances of selection. So, the SSC requirements to join the Nigerian Army are the following:
- Applicant must be a Nigerian citizen.
- The applicant must be between 22 and 28 years old.
- Applicant must be physically, mentally, and medically fit according to the Nigerian Army Standards.
- A good character certificate must be issued by at least two referees. The referee’s rank must not be below the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel or equivalent. The letter of reference must have a passport-size photograph of the referee.
- Candidate must not have any criminal record or be convicted by a court of law.
- Letter of attestation from former institution.
- Male candidates must be at least 1.68m tall, and female candidates should be at least 1.65m tall.
- All applicants must possess a first degree or not lower than Second Class Division.
- A valid birth certificate of the state of origin.
- NYSC certificate or a valid certificate of exemption is required for all candidates except serving members of the armed forces.
- A valid address and contact number of parents/guardians, etc.
- Must provide original copies of all the academic certificates.
- In-service candidates must provide a valid military ID card and a letter of recommendation from the Commanders.
- Candidates must not be a member of any cult/ secret society, etc.
How to Apply for the SSC Recruitment?
- Visit the Nigerian Army recruitment portal.
- Create an account and register yourself.
- Go to SSC and upload supporting documents.
- Save and take a print of your attestation form.
- Wait for the Nigerian Army SSC shortlist.
Once you are on the shortlist you will have to clear a screening test, physical test, and interview. Candidates who pass all these stages successfully will get a joining letter from the Nigerian Military.
Nigerian Army DSSC Requirements
Those who wish to join the Nigerian Army as DSSC must fulfill the Nigerian Army’s set criteria. The requirements for a DSSC recruit are the following:
- Applicant must be a Nigerian citizen.
- Age should be between 22 years and 35 years, regardless of gender.
- All candidates must be physically, mentally, and medically fit.
- An applicant must possess good character, and it should be attested by at least two referees serving at higher ranks like Local Government Chairman, Lieutenant Colonel, or equivalent. Referees’ passport-size photograph must be affixed with the letter.
- Candidate must have no criminal record.
- A letter of attestation from the previous institute is needed.
- Applicants must possess at least a first degree with no less than 2nd Class lower division or HND with no lower credits in arts, sciences, or humanities.
- A valid birth certificate.
- Applicants, except individuals serving in the Armed Forces, must have their NYSC certificate or any valid certificate of exemption.
- Valid address and contact number of parents/guardian and next of Kin.
- No tattoos on the body.
- Candidates must provide original copies of their academic certificates.
- In-service personnel must have a valid military ID card and a letter of recommendation from their Commanding Officer.
- Applicant must not be a member of any secret society, fraternity, or cult.
How to Apply for DSSC Recruitment?
Anyone who fulfils the above-mentioned criteria can apply for the Nigerian Army DSSC Recruitment 2024. Here’s how you can apply for Army DSSC recruitment.
- Visit the official website of the Nigerian Army DSSC recruitment portal.
- Register yourself on the portal.
- After registration, apply with all the supporting documents.
- Wait for the shortlisted candidates list by the Nigerian Army.
- Once you appear on the shortlist move to the next phase of recruitment, the screening test.
- Those who clear the screening test are called for an interview.
- Only successful candidates receive the DSSC joining letter.
What is the difference between the DSSC and the SSC Nigerian Army?
Both SSC and DSSC ranks are for graduates, but the age limit for DSSC is higher, making it suitable for those who are not above 35 years while SSC is for younger people not older than 28 years.
Can DSSC convert to regular?
Yes, DSSC officers can convert to regular after serving as DSSC for at least three years in the Armed forces.
What rank is given to DSSC?
Sub Lieutenant rank is given to DSSC officers.
In conclusion, meeting the predetermined requirements for SSC and DSSC is necessary as these requirements decide whether the candidate is eligible for the post or not. These criteria help the recruiters select committed and qualified individuals who can perform tough military duties, prioritizing the nation’s defense. We have discussed Nigerian Army SSC and DSSC requirements and recruitment process in this article, and I hope this information helps you understand both SSC and DSSC rank requirements clearly.
Article Modified on October 28, 2023. The data in this article is written and collected by multiple authors. Learn how we research on About Us.