Business administration is a respectable field with financial benefits and numerous opportunities to grow. An average business administrator earns around R25,466 per month. With higher education and years of experience, this amount can go up to R39,841 per month.
|Business Administrator (HR Specialist, Management Analyst, Sales Management, Financial Manager, Business Consultant, Health Administrator, Manager Administration).
|Monthly Salary Range:
|R 12650 – R 39841
|Average Monthly Salary:
|Business administrators conduct resource contracts, onboard resources, and take new initiatives.
|Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related.
Are you a fresh graduate planning to enter the job market? Do not know anything about the business administration salary prospects. Keep reading this guide.
Business Administration Salary Overview
To become a business administrator in South Africa, you need at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant program or an equivalent diploma certificate. An average business administrator in the country earns around R25,466, which is R305,600 per year.
The median salary of a business administrator is approximately R311,700 yearly, which means half the workforce is earning a higher amount. Going deeper, 25% of the workforce earn less than R207,700 per year, whereas the other 75% earn less than this amount.
Simply put, the business administrator is considered a moderate bonus-based job. According to statistics, 55% of the registered staff get at least one bonus within twelve months, whereas the other 45% did not receive any incentive or bonus. The amount of incentives usually ranges between 3% and 6% of their annual salary.
Business administration setups have several positions, depending on an employee’s expertise and qualifications. There are numerous opportunities for employees to grow and be promoted to a higher stature. Let us know how various positions are paid in a business setup.
|Salary Range (Average)
Level of Experience
The most important thing that matters when deciding your salary as a business administrator is your expertise. Employees with more years of experience will have a higher wage. Here is the breakdown of the business administrator’s salary based on their experience in the profession.
|Level of Experience
|Year Salary (Average)
|Less than 2 years
|2 to 5 years
|5 to 10 years
|10 to 15 years
|15 to 20 years
|More than 20 years
- An entry-level business administrator working in South Africa has an expected starting salary of R175,900 per year.
- As they gain some experience and reach the five-year milestone, the expected raise in their salary is around 29%.
- With five to ten years of experience, a business administrator in South Africa gets a 38% raise in their yearly salary.
- Within ten and fifteen years of experience, the expected rise is around 24% more than their previous class.
- For experts who have less than twenty years of expertise in the field, there is an expected 7% raise in the yearly salary.
- Anyone with over twenty years of experience gets a 7% raise compared to their previous class.
After experience, education is yet another factor that influences your yearly salary. Typically, the starting qualification to enter the field is a bachelor’s degree or equivalent diploma certificate. Let us see how much business administrators earn, depending on their education.
|Average Yearly Salary
|Certificate or Diploma
- A business administrator with a diploma certificate earns anywhere around R254,700 per year.
- With a bachelor’s degree, there is an expected 35% raise in the yearly salary.
- As you progress toward a master’s degree, you get a 26% salary raise.
Though it is not ideal, gender is yet another factor that may decide your yearly salary. According to statistics, women in the profession earn 7% less than their male counterparts. Let us see how male and female employees earn as business administrators.
|Male Business Administrator
|Female Business Administrator
City of Allocation
Last but not least, your city station is another parameter for companies to decide the final salary. Typically, cities with big business firms are expected to get a higher wage and vice versa. Here are a few cities and the expected pay business administrators get in those cities.
|City of Allocation
|Average Yearly Salary
Responsibilities of Business Administrators
Business administrators are typically required to perform leadership roles in different departments within a company. Their job involves drafting budgets, developing financial strategies, and allocating the right resources to handle ongoing projects. Here are a few professional tasks you are expected to do as a business administrator.
- Planning strategies for improving business operations.
- Adopting technologies and practices to streamline routine business tasks.
- Hiring staff to expand the scope of operations.
- Collaborating with human resource teams to reorganize and onboard teams.
- Handling finances and planning the budget.
- Communicating with the finance and accounting teams.
- Negotiating contracts with vendors to identify and implement cost-effective operations.
- Overlooking the marketing operations of a company.
- Collaborating with the marketing, advertising, and public relations team to build the company’s profile.
To become a business administrator and perform these tasks, employees must have the following skillsets.
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal and public communication).
- Analytical skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving capabilities.
- Time management skills.
- Strategic planning and organizational skills.
- Presentation and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of the finances and operational practices of the business industry.
What is the average business administrator salary in South Africa?
An average business administrator in South Africa earns approximately R25,466 per month.
How much does an entry-level business administrator earn in South Africa?
The starting salary of an entry-level business administrator in South Africa is R12,650 per month.
How much does a business administrator earn in Pretoria?
An average business administrator in Pretoria earns R307,400 per year.
Do you need a degree to become a business administrator in South Africa?
Yes, you need at least a bachelor’s degree in business administration (or a related field) or an equivalent diploma certificate.
Are men or women business administrators paid more?
There is a 7% salary gap between male and female business administrators in South Africa. An average male administrator earns around R313,700 per year, whereas this value for women is R292,000 per year.
What is the average salary of an expert business administrator?
An average expert business administrator earns approximately R39,841 per month.
What is the median salary of business administrators in South Africa?
The median salary of a business administrator in South Africa is R311,700 per year.
What do business administrators do?
Business administrators are placed in leadership roles in different departments of the company. They are responsible for drafting strategies, managing finances, and allocating resources for a project.
In conclusion, business administration is a growing field with an expansive setup in South Africa. Hence, it is pretty understandable that you have numerous chances to progress from your position. Aside from opportunities, the financial perks and fringe benefits attract aspiring employees from across the country.
Finally, I hope this guide has managed to offer valuable insights into the business administration salary.
Article Modified on October 28, 2023. The data in this article is written and collected by multiple authors. Learn how we research on About Us.