Mechanical engineering is one of the best courses in Nigeria to study, which provides students with a bright future. It is not only attractive, but the field is very productive, and as a profession, mechanical engineers are among those specialists who earn quite a handsome salary. Mechanical engineers are involved in dealing with mechanical devices and their creation.
|Monthly Salary Range:
|₦157000 – ₦462000
|Average Monthly Salary:
|Mechanical engineers are responsible for developing, designing, and creating power-producing machines. For example, electric generators, steam and gas turbines, refrigerators, air conditioners, and internal combustion engines.
If you are looking to select mechanical engineering as your career and are searching for how much mechanical engineers earn in Nigeria and what the professional responsibilities are, you have come to the right place as I am going to elaborate here the overview of mechanical engineer’s salary in Nigeria and everything related to them. Let’s take a look and unfold some of the facts and figures related to mechanical engineer salaries in Nigeria.
Overview Of Mechanical Engineering Salary
Mechanical engineers have lots of work to do. It is one of the well-known fields of engineering that involves the invention of mechanical devices, the creation of mechanical setups, and the manufacturing of cars. The field is not only exciting but also very adventurous, fascinating, and innovative.
The average salary that you can get as a mechanical engineer in Nigeria is somewhere around ₦ 302,000. The salary is an average salary that varies according to gender, experience, professional level, education, and the company you are working in. Alternatively, the median salary that is reported by the research says that half of the mechanical engineers in Nigeria get more than ₦ 274,000 per month, and half of the mechanical engineers get less than ₦ 274,000.
There is a noticeable increase in the salaries of mechanical engineers in Nigeria after 19 months. The approximate percentage of increment in wages is 11%. This means if you are working in a certain company and it’s been around two years you are working there, you will get a noticeable increase in your salary.
Moreover, we cannot say that you will definitely get a bonus or an extra income as a mechanical engineer in Nigeria because, according to our research, around 51% of the mechanical engineers reported that they have not yet received any bonus or incentive. Alternatively, 49% of the mechanical engineers say they have received a bonus of 3% to 5% of their annual salary as a mechanical engineer working in some field.
- Based on professional experience, the salary of mechanical engineers varies in Nigeria. Those starting their career and only have experience from 0 to 2 years earn around ₦ 178,000.
- On the other hand, those who have experience between 2 to 5 years earn an average income of ₦ 239,000, an increase of 34% more than mechanical engineers who are earning in the first two years of their career.
- Furthermore, those mechanical engineers who are experienced professionals and have experience of 5 to 10 years earn around ₦ 311,000, with an increase of 30%.
- Those with experience levels from 10 to 15 years have a monthly salary of somewhere around ₦ 376,000.
- Then we have skilled professionals who have more than 15 years of experience; they can expect their salary to be ₦ 411,000.
Salary Comparison By Gender
Although gender should not affect the salary of an individual, it is somehow affecting the salary of mechanical engineers in Nigeria. The average gender difference between the salaries of male mechanical engineers and female mechanical employees is around 12%.
Males generally earn a lot more than females in Nigeria as mechanical engineers. A male earns an average salary of ₦ 324,000, whereas a female earns a wage of ₦ 288,000.
Responsibilities of “Mechanical Engineering Salary”
- Mechanical engineers are responsible for performing an entire product development cycle.
- They are responsible for designing the systems and designing the components and parts of that particular system to meet the requirements.
- They are also responsible and involved in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and making interpretations about the results so that the data, facts, and figures are used for the development of certain energy-producing or energy-using machines.
- They are responsible for testing and evaluating the theoretical designs they have made.
- Mechanical engineers also make estimations about the budget of the project.
- They also make evaluations about modification and alteration in the designs of the product to minimize malfunctioning.
- Mechanical engineers check the final product and ensure that it is safe and reliable for use by the general public.
- They also prepare reports and documentation based on their theories and the experiments they have conducted.
What are the skills that mechanical engineers should have?
Mechanical engineers should have mathematical skills and should know how to use computers appropriately. He should also have knowledge about other subjects like thermodynamics, material science, mechanics, and kinematics. He should be creative in his thoughts and should have critical and analytical skills so that he can adequately analyze the problem and solve and develop the machines according to the needs and requirements.
Is there any difference between the salary of a male mechanical engineer and a female mechanical engineer?
Yes, although there should not be, there is a noticeable difference between male mechanical engineers and female mechanical engineers in Nigeria. Well, the average difference between the salaries of both of them as an employee is around 12%, which means males get 12% more salary as compared to female mechanical engineers in Nigeria.
What is the average monthly salary of a highly professional mechanical engineer?
Those mechanical engineers who are highly professional in their field and have an experience of more than 15 years can expect their monthly wage to be ₦ 411,000. You need to make sure that you have the appropriate skills, a degree, and the proper mindset to work as a professional mechanical engineer in order to earn more.
Article Modified on October 28, 2023. The data in this article is written and collected by multiple authors. Learn how we research on About Us.